Tuesday 14 August 2012

Lots of catching up to do!

Have a Lukas Balmelli Q&A while you wait for me to re-vamp this thing. Translated from Journal L'Express' article that was published about a month ago.

For those that don't know (where have you been), the 6'2'', 185 lb centre was Drummondville's selection in the CHL Import Draft, picked 19th overall.


Q. You had signed a professional contract with HC Lugano (Swiss Elite League) for this upcoming season, but chose to make the move to North America. What was your reaction when you were selected by the Voltigeurs last month?
A.  I was very excited to be chosen by the Voltigeurs. I knew that AndrĂ© Ruel had kept an eye on me during the Under-18 World Championships in the Czech Republic. I always dreamed of playing in Canada. When AndrĂ© Ruel and Dominic Ricard decided to draft me, I was the happiest guy on the planet! I received their phone call while on vacation in Spain, which made my trip even more memorable. The first thing I did, along with my father, was get us two Voltigeurs’ jerseys. I think I look great in this sweater!
Q. You are described as a complete and efficient centre, capable of contributing as much offensively as defensively. What kind of player will Voltigeurs’ fans see?
A. It all depends on the situation! I describe myself first and foremost as a team player. I have good vision and excel in the faceoff circle. Physically, I am strong yet fast. I am always mindful of checking my opponents. You can often see me heading back to the defensive zone in order to better launch the attack. I have the habit of using the entire ice surface and love playing from the slot. In Lugano and on the national U-18 team, I was used on the power play as often as shorthanded.
Q. You were named captain of Lugano’s junior squad as well as assistant-captain on the Swiss U-18 team. What contributions can you bring to a team on the ice as well as off of it?
A. I am a serious guy, one who listens and always tries to help out his friends. I have a sense of commitment. I don’t hesitate to sacrifice myself for the benefit of my team. And I hate losing.
Q. What are your expectations and objectives for the upcoming season?
A. Swiss hockey is making great strides, and I look forward to showing this to Voltigeurs’ fans. I got the chance to read what Dominic Ricard said about me in an article in L’Express. I am impatient to get the chance to play with Olivier Archambault and Marc-Olivier Brouillard and to pass them the puck. Along with my teammates, I want to help the Voltigeurs have a good season.
Q. You will participate in the U-20 camp for Team Switzerland, from July 21st-27th, in Arosa. How do you evaluate your chances of being selected to represent your country in the World Junior Hockey Championships, this winter?
A. I am confident. In Arosa, we will train very hard under [head coach] Sean Simpson’s orders. We will play four games against Germany and Denmark. Afterwards, I will finalize my preparation for my trip to Drummondville.
Q. You will get to Drummondville on August 6th, a week before training camp with the Voltigeurs, and we can see you in action at the Nordik Hockey School in Saint-Cyrille. How do you feel about coming to live the North-American experience?
A. I am really impatient. By arriving on August 6th, I will have the time to become acclimatized, to meet my teammates, my coach Mario Duhamel and the team personnel. It will be a completely new experience for me that I’m sure will be very positive. I would like to thank the Voltigeurs for offering me this fantastic opportunity. I would also like to thank HC Lugano, where I spent five amazing years.

***

Balmelli has since been sidelined with a knee contusion, suffered at the U-20 camp in Arosa. He was unable to take part in the Nordik Hockey School in Saint-Cyrille but should be able to participate in training camp as scheduled.

No comments: